Every year end so many of us attempt to look to the future and predict or set resolutions or goals. I am currently spending a bit of time looking over 2013 and doing somewhat of a self evaluation.
So I decided to think back and look into what tweets I ‘favorited' or ReTweeted. My use of twitter is completely selfish. I don't ReTweet or favorite peoples tweets with hopes that they will reciprocate. My purpose in being involved with twitter is to keep up with goings on in culture (global and local) & learn from people I find influential. Occasionally, I will involve my self with humorous banter among friends.
Yet to move toward the intended purpose of my post and not get off on a social media rant I now will present to you my personal top favorited tweets of 2013, with possibly a brief explication of why.
1. 1/20/13 @stewboo94 "I bet Ricky would’ve been a great pet. #riprickey"
-you never know the fun that will happen when you pair up a bunch of teenage guys and some road kill!
2. 3/22/13 @alvinreid “when u preach 2 youth don’t talk down 2 ‘kids’ w/ ur advice, challenge young adults w/ a radical gospel”
-Reid challenges me in so many ways in the way I interact with students. From mentoring to teaching he constantly speaks great truths and reminders on how to be effective with the time we have in our leadership among the student culture.
3. 4/4/13 @markcox ‘religio-political memes are a reason to quit Facebook in themselves. It’s becoming less social and more about a bullhorn.”
-Not a lot needed to add to this, other than, ‘preach on’. Because of social media everyone has a mega phone. So I ask myself, does anyone really listen anymore? I know there are several people in our world who I find quite easy to tune out.
4. 4/15/13 @johnmerrill86 “Three things every student needs from the older: a gospel vision, encouragement, and permission to live valiantly for God NOW!”
-I found this tweet remarkably true, especially as one who strives to help students see their potential as leaders and the peer of influence they can have on their peers and younger ones in the same student ministry.
5. 4/15/13 @tylernicole13 “life always takes an unexpected turn, that’s why we all need Jesus. #prayersforboston”
-so much truth from a 17 year old!
6. 5/9/13 @Jsmalls626 “Fanta Apple is probably the best soda there is. I will forever be indebted to @sirpetertweeter for introducing me to it.”
-I love leading students into discovering some of the finer things in life.
7. 5/20/13 @brad_m_evans “Got to see @tjellis1 tonight at the Walton Baccalaureate service. My day is now complete. I wanna be like him when I ‘grow up’”
-Tracy Ellis is a phenomenal human, father, Christ follower and servant. This tweet reminded me of so many great experiences I had while in his company. I am forever grateful for knowing, loving and experiencing life with he and his family.
8. 7/15/13 @mwisme “pay the most attention to those who are doing what you desire, not those who desire to tell you what they are doing.”
-ever get tired of seeing those tweets?
9. 8/18/13 @darrinpatrick “don’t just go to a church that feeds you, go to a church that gets you hungry” -Mike Patz”
-read this and immediately began reflecting with my personal life. What do I do in my life and ministry that leaves people hungry for more of God?
10. 9/27/13 @RockCityTimes “38 Bryant Football Players Suspended from Salt Bowl for selling Autographs http://www.rockcitytimes.com/38-bryant-football-players-suspended-salt-bowl-selling-autographs/
-this was HALARIOUS! It amazes me how many people read this, believed and became outraged. A truly funny website with tons of local political satire.
11. 12/7/13 @PastorMark “sexual purity requires both a passionate want-to and a plan for how-to. Where do you need to set boundaries in your life?”
-want-to and how-to…part of the key to finding freedom from so many of the life captivating sins and life issues.
12. 12/31/13 @desiringgod “Oh: ‘it takes more than clicking ‘like’ for a good cause to change the world.”
-So much truth here that connects want-to/how-to and our personal bullhorns. If we are going to change the world, we are actually going to have to get out of comfort zones, stretch ourselves and get hands dirty.
Christ Follower, Husband, Father, Student Pastor, and Lover of all things Garlic and Bacon.